Birding Ecuador’s Andes & Amazon
Whether you are an avid birder or just a hobbyist, this trip will not disappoint. World renowned Ornithologist, Dr. Heike Brieschke, knows the country and its birds very well, and will lead you up through the Andes at over 4,000 meters and down into the Amazon basin at 400 meters above sea level, including a variety of habitats in between. Traveling through the small, megadiverse country of Ecuador, this trip will offer tremendous opportunities to see a long list of the over 1,660 bird species found in the country. Conservatively, you can expect to see approximately 350 species along this trip.
Throughout the trip we will stay in comfortable lodges as we travel from one habitat to the next. Apart from the many bird species you will see, you will also be able to experience the vast plant diversity and some of the stunningly beautiful landscapes that Ecuador has to offer.
- Length: 10 Days / 9 Night
- Group Size: Minimum 4, Maximum 8
- Price: (please come back on December 10, 2022)
- includes everything beyond your international flight and any personal expenditures (includes: all taxes; all accommodations; all meals; all entrance fees; full-time multilingual Ornithologist guide; additional Spanish speaking Ornithological guide in the Amazon; private transportation with chauffeur, including airport transfers, canoe rides on the Napo River & smaller rivers; and carbon offsets to counter the environmental impact of your trip).
*$00.00 CAD single supplement (or we can try to match you up with someone).
*Please contact us if you would like this package quoted in $USD.
- Activity level: there is a lot of activity included in this trip, and lots of opportunity to add more on. People of all abilities have enjoyed this exact itinerary. If you have any questions or concerns about your ability to do the activities included in this trip, we would be happy to discuss them by phone or email – just contact us.
- We want to make this the best experience possible for you, so be sure to let us know about any concerns you have or just as important, if you have a particular bird species you would like to focus on – as we have a good idea of where to find most of them.
About Your Birding Guide, Dr. Heike Brieschke
Heike grew up in the countryside close to the small town of Bonn, Germany. Her interest in birds emerged at a very young age, leading her to study Biology in Bonn and later complete her PhD in Ornithology at the University of Frankfurt, including a one-year study of Sunbirds in South Africa. She then took on a position in the Ornithology Department at the Natural Museum and Research Institute Alexander Koenig/Bonn, during which time she was sent to Río Anchicayá, Colombia to direct a Scientific Field Station for two years. In 1993 Heike was sent to Ecuador to continue her field studies, when she ended up meeting her husband, Pedro, and settling in the country. She has been exploring and studying Ecuador’s bird life ever since, carrying out monthly monitoring studies in her and Pedro’s cloud forest reserve, called Mindo Lindo, and guiding birders from all over the world in the different ecosystems of the amazing country of Ecuador. Heike is fluent in German, English and Spanish.
IncludedAccommodationsActivities (detailed in itinerary)Airport Transfer (Arrival)Airport Transfer (Departure)All TaxesAll Transportation (including internal flights, when applicable)English-speaking Tour LeaderMeals (detailed in itinerary)
Not IncludedDrinks, Alcoholic BeveragesPersonal ExpendituresReturn International Airfare