Overview of the Galapagos
A visit to the Galapagos Islands offers endless opportunities to get close to some of the most fascinating animals in the world. The amazing & extraordinary wildlife – combined with the fact that the animals have no fear of people – is primarily what has led to the Galapagos Islands being the world’s number one bucket list destination. It truly feels like you are starring in your own personal nature documentary – it‘s hard to believe it until you’ve experienced it first-hand.
The history of Charles Darwin is part of the attraction for many too.
The convergence of five major ocean currents at the Galapagos archipelago created some of the richest marine life in the world, in terms of both diversity and sheer volume. Along with the equatorial surface weather and extreme isolation of the islands (over 900 km off the Pacific coast of Ecuador), the ocean currents contribute to the islands’ ideal climate and unique ecology – both on land and below the water.
Let us share some of the most wonderful moments you might experience on one of our trips through this magical part of the world:
- Look deep into the eyes of a 120-year-old Giant Tortoise in the wild.
- Snorkel in some of the most marine-rich waters in the word among colourful fish, Galapagos Penguins, Seahorses, and Green Sea Turtles, and playful Galapagos Sea Lions.
- Wait for the moment when a female Blue-footed Boobie decides to pick up the stick (or not…) at the end of her suitor’s intricate mating dance, thereby sealing the deal for life.
- Lie on a white sand beach surrounded by Marine Iguanas – the only lizard found in the sea.
- Look across the vast expanse of Sierra Negra, the second largest volcanic crater in the world;
- Encounter Darwin’s finches in their unique habitat – the basis for Darwin’s theory of evolution and natural selection.
- See a tiny three-week old Giant Tortoise fit in the palm of one of its caretaker’s hands, on a visit to one of the successful breeding programs;
- And this list could go on and on… as do the magical experiences the whole time you are visiting the islands!