Will you need a travel visa?

This question is extremely important to know before you leave. Rest assured. If you do require one, EarthTreks will let you know before you book. We can also assist you with the process.

If you’re interested in finding out which countries need a travel visa, click HERE for the Government of Canada’s alphabetized list of countries detailing, among other things, their entry and exit requirements. You will very likely need a visa if you plan to remain in a foreign country for a longer period (usually more than 90 days).

Some countries (such as Ecuador) will issue a visa upon your arrival, meaning that you do not need to acquire one ahead of time. More often, visas must be obtained before leaving Canada. You may be denied entry if you do not have a visa when you arrive in a country that requires one.

You are also responsible for ensuring that your passport contains empty visa pages. If the pages of your passport have become filled with visas or entry and exit stamps, apply for a new passport.

Canadian Embassies and Consulates are located in most countries throughout the world. Australian and Swedish offices also have a special agreement to provide consular services to Canadians. Whether you’ve lost your passport or need to evacuate the country (due to a natural disaster or political upheaval), a Canadian Embassy is your point of contact for assistance in many different situations.

Click HERE for a directory containing contact information for government offices that provide consular services to Canadian citizens abroad. For up-to-date, detailed information on a particular office, visit that office’s website.

To understand the Government of Canada’s official advice on situations that may affect your health and safety while traveling abroad, go to this resource. It also lists other important travel issues such as security, local laws and culture, entry and exit requirements and health.